BMW has in the past had two variations of the same key fob remote type; keys with “comfort access” features, and those “non-comfort access” keys. Comfort Access is a feature on BMW vehicles that allow you to unlock your vehicle just by touching the door handle, you can keep your key fob in your pocket. The vehicle senses the key once it is 5 or so feet away, and allows you to unlock or start the car while keeping your key fob remote stashed away in a backpack, or your pocket. For all BMW key models see the all BMW Key Fob Batteries page.
Now, changing the battery on a non-comfort access key is very different then a key fob remote WITH comfort access enabled. The main difference is that comfort access key fobs have replaceable non-rechargeable batteries that are relatively easy to pop in and out of the key fob. Non-comfort access keys requiring prying apart the key fob, and de-soldering a rechargeable VL2020 battery from the circuit board.
Here’s a video I made showing the difference between two variations of popular BMW keys with and without Comfort Access and how to change the battery in each:
Non-Comfort Access Remote Key Battery: VL2020
- Battery Model: VL2020
- Please compare the leg position carefully,this battery is 90 degrees leg
- it is a Rechargeable battery
Comfort Access Remote Key Battery: CR2032
- IN THE BOX: 4-pack of CR2032 3 volt lithium coin cell batteries; replacement for BR2032, DL2032, and ECR2032
- DEVICE COMPATIBLE: Ideal for watches, calculators, key fobs, Apple TV remotes, and other small electronics
- DESIGNED TO LAST: 8-year leak-free shelf life