Mazda’s CX-9 is a stylish, powerful, and fun-to-drive crossover SUV. The first generation ran from 2007 to 2015 before receiving a few updates in 2016. The second generation CX-9 is considered one of the most visually stunning SUVs on the market today. It features an updated design and the new SkyActiv platform and engine.
This model uses 2 key different key fobs. The first generation uses Mazda’s flip key fob with a retractable physical key and remote locking, unlocking, and panic capabilities. The second generation’s smart key offers all of that good stuff along with hands-free opening and push-to-start. If you need to get into either of these key fobs—we’ve got you covered. This guide will show you everything you need to know to replace your Mazda key fob battery. Looking for a different Mazda key fob?
|CX-9||Smart Key||2016, 2017, 2018, 2019||CR2025||Check on Amazon|
|CX-9||Flip||2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015||CR1620||Check on Amazon|
How to replace the Mazda CX-9 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 smart key fob battery
This smart key fob can easily be opened to replace the CR2025 battery inside. Scroll down to see a full video tutorial or read on for a step-by-step guide.
What you will need:
• 1x CR2025 battery
• Flat-head screwdriver
First, flip your smart key over and find the small switch on the back. Push the switch down, and while holding it down, pull on the silver key ring hole to release the internal key. From here, we will need our flat-head screwdriver. Locate the grooves on the left and right walls inside the area the key came from. Insert your screwdriver into a groove and twist to loosen that side. Repeat for the groove on the other side. This will begin to separate the two halves of the key fob.
Now, down the sides of the key fob, there should be openings. Insert your screwdriver into these openings, twist, and work your way down each side until you can separate the two halves of the key fob with your fingers. Inside, you will find a plastic disc holding the battery in place. Remove it to expose the battery. The CR2025 battery can simply be removed with your fingers.
Place your new battery in the compartment with the face up. Put the plastic disc back on top of the battery, click the two halves of the key fob back together, and insert your internal key. That’s it! Battery replaced. Good job.This is the battery for this CX-9 key fob:
- Energizer 2025 Lithium Coin Battery
- Delivers long-lasting, dependable performance in specialty devices like heart rate monitors, remotes, keyless entry systems, glucose monitors, toys, and games.Operating temperature:-30C to 60C
- Holds power for up to 10 years in storage, ensuring you have Lithium Coin Batteries ready when you need them
How to replace the Mazda CX-9 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 flip fob battery
It can be a bit tricky to replace the CR1620 battery inside this key fob. Scroll down to see a full video tutorial or keep reading for a step by step guide.
What you will need:
• 1x CR1620 battery
• Flat-head screwdriver
• Precision screwdriver (3.0mm/PH0 or smaller)
• Pen, pencil, toothpick or another thin tool
- 【6 Different Size】: 2pcs Phillips sizes(#0, #1); 4pcs Flathead sizes(1.4mm, 2.0mm, 2.4mm, 3.0mm); It is the prefect choice for your daily repairs such as watch, jewelry, glasses repair and fixing anything with small screws
- 【Good Grip Design】: The gap is closely combined while use, comfortable hand feeling. Spinning end caps increase speed and efficiency. A must have in the toolbox
- 【Easy To Carry】: Packed in a plastic storage case to help you keep the screwdriver organized. These are so convenient to have around the home
Start by pressing the metal button on the front of your key fob to flip out the key. Look inside the compartment where the key is housed and locate the seam on the top of the compartment close to the outer edge. Holding the top of the fob (where the metal button is) with your thumb, use your fingers or a flat-head screwdriver to push up against the seam, separating the top piece of plastic from the rest of the key fob.
Now that you have created some separation, look to the bottom of the key fob where the keyring attaches. Insert your flat-head screwdriver into the opening and twist, pushing the two pieces further apart. You should now be able to fully separate the two halves with your fingers, exposing the battery.
Next, take your precision screwdriver, pen, or another thin tool. Holding the key fob with the key facing down, insert your tool into the bottom-right corner of the indentation that houses the battery (there is a small black arrow pointing towards it). Use a prying and rocking motion to pull the battery up with your tool until the battery pops out. Now you can change your CR1620 battery.
Put the new battery face down into the compartment. Start with the top side of the battery, getting that lined up before pushing on the bottom of the battery to click it into place. Reconnect the two pieces of the key fob (being careful that the circuit board is secure) and flip your key back in. That’s it, your Mazda CX-9 flip key fob has a brand new battery!This is the battery for this CX-9 key fob:
- IN THE BOX: 2-pack of CR1620 3 volt lithium coin cell replacement batteries for small electronic devices
- DEVICE COMPATIBLE: Ideal for watches, calculators, games, medical devices, and more
- DESIGNED TO LAST: Long-lasting, reliable battery life; performs in extreme temperatures