The Mazda MX-5 Miata is the best selling two-seat convertible of all time. This lightweight roadster was designed around the Japanese phrase—Jinba ittai—meaning oneness of horse and rider. This mantra can be felt through the vehicle’s impressive performance, neutral steering, 50:50 front to rear weight balance, and elegant design. Additionally, the Miata drew inspiration from the British sports cars of the 1950s and ‘60s adding to its sporty and classic appeal.
Between 2006 and 2015 the MX-5 Miata used the “flip” key fob with a folding internal key and remote locking, unlocking, trunk opening, and panic capabilities. Mazda switched over to the “smart” key in 2016 and hasn’t looked back since. With the “smart” key, users can lock, unlock, and push-to-start while the key is in their pocket. In this guide, we will walk you through a DIY battery replacement for both of these key fobs. Looking for a different Mazda key fob?
|MX-5 Miata||Smart Key||2016, 2017, 2018, 2019||CR2025||Check on Amazon|
|MX-5 Miata||Flip Key||2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015||CR1620||Check on Amazon|
How to replace the MX-5 Miata 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 smart key fob battery
Scroll down to see a full video tutorial or read on for a step by step guide.
What you will need:
• 1x CR2025 battery
• Flat-head screwdriver
Changing the CR2025 battery in your Mazda MX-5 Miata smart key is a simple and quick process. First, push the tab the back of the smart key to remove the internal key. Look for the grooves on the left and right walls inside the area the key came just from. Insert the head of your flat-head screwdriver into each groove and twist. This will loosen the two halves of the smart key.
Now, the seams on the sides of the key fob should be coming apart. Insert your screwdriver into these seams, twist, and work your way down each side until the two halves come apart. Now that we are inside, the rest is easy. Remove the plastic disc battery protector with your fingers, and pull the CR2025 battery right out.
Position your new battery face up in the battery compartments. Next, put the plastic disc back on top of the battery, making sure the rubber band is in place. Finally, click the two halves of the smart key back together. Good job! Your MX-5 Miata key fob is now charged up and ready for use.This is the battery for this MX-5 Miata key fob:
- Energizer 2025 Lithium Coin Battery
- Delivers long-lasting, dependable performance in specialty devices like heart rate monitors, remotes, keyless entry systems, glucose monitors, toys, and games
- Holds power for up to 10 years in storage, ensuring you have Lithium Coin Batteries ready when you need them
How to replace the MX-5 Miata 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 flip key fob battery
Scroll down to see a full video tutorial or keep reading for a step by step guide.
What you will need:
• 1x CR1620 battery
• Flat-head screwdriver
• Precision screwdriver (3.0mm/PH0 or smaller)
• Pen, pencil, toothpick or another thin tool
- 【6 Different Size】: 2pcs Phillips sizes(#0, #1); 4pcs Flathead sizes(1.4mm, 2.0mm, 2.4mm, 3.0mm); It is the prefect choice for your daily repairs such as watch, jewelry, glasses repair and fixing anything with small screws
- 【Good Grip Design】: The gap is closely combined while use, comfortable hand feeling. Spinning end caps increase speed and efficiency. A must have in the toolbox
- 【Easy To Carry】: Packed in a plastic storage case to help you keep the screwdriver organized. These are so convenient to have around the home
First, let’s open up our flip key fob. Start by locating the compartment where the folding key is housed. On the roof of this compartment is a seam between the two halves of plastic. You can use your fingers or a flat-head screwdriver to push upwards on the outer edge of the plastic. Push up until there is a bit of space between the two halves of the fob. Now, you should be able to fit a flat-head screwdriver into the opening on the bottom of the device (where the two holes for the keyring are). Give the screwdriver a twist and the whole key fob should open.
Next, take your precision screwdriver (3.0mm/PH0 or smaller) or another small tool and insert it into the top-right corner of the compartment that holds the battery. Pry the battery out with a rocking motion and slight pressure. If done correctly, the battery should come loose easily.
Position your new battery in place, face down. Push down until it clicks securely into the compartment. All that’s left is to reconnect the two halves of the flip key fob. Well done, you have a brand new battery in your Miata key fob.This is the battery for this MX-5 Miata key fob:
- 2-Pack of CR1620 lithium coin cell batteries for small electronic devices
- Powers devices such as watches, calculators, sporting goods, games, medical devices, and more
- Long-lasting, reliable battery life; performs in extreme temperatures