FobBattery is an independent review site that prides itself on unbiased reviews. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more key fobs for testing. - Scott
How Does a VW Key Fob Work?
Remember the days of owning a traditional key for your car?
You’d use this tool to open your door and turn on the ignition. With a little jam-and-jiggle (and no intricate technology), you’d be on your way.
In modern times, many Volkswagen owners have become much more familiar with keyless entry remotes. These remotes contain transponder chips that interact with the receiver in your vehicle.
As long as you have your programmed remote on your person, you can lock/unlock your vehicle whenever you’re standing near it.
Depending on the type of remote you have, you may be able to drive away without having to pull out any physical keys.
Types of Volkswagen Keyless Entry RemotesThere are two main types of Volkswagen keyless entry remotes available:
- Volkswagen Flip Key
- Volkswagen Key Fob
- This is a replacement product
- fits VW Volkswagen Beetle CC Eos Golf Gti Jetta Passat Tiguan Touareg 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
- Complete electronic assembly with battery
- 【FITMENT】Fit for VW Volkswagen Beetle CC Eos Golf Gti Jetta Passat Tiguan Touareg 2011-2016
- 【REFERENCE NUMBER】Replacement for FCC ID: NBG010180T, part number 5K0 837 202 AE
- 【PROGRAMMING】You can find some programming steps on the website, just enter your car model, year, make and model, but we recommend you to find a professional locksmith to help programming, because most people think the programming steps are very complicated.
Which Volkswagen Models Have Key Fobs?There are dozens of Volkswagen vehicles, and every model caters to the unique preferences of any customer.No matter if you prefer something compact like the 2021 Volkswagen Jetta or a more spacious vehicle like the 2021 Routan or Passat model, you don’t have to sacrifice your key fob.
How Much Is a New VW Key Fob?The price of a replacement VW key fob can be anywhere between $150 and $550. The price a customer will pay will depend on factors like:
- The type of Volkswagen fob
- Where they shop for their replacement (online, an auto parts store, an automotive locksmith, your car dealer)
- The year your vehicle was manufactured
Why Is My Volkswagen Key Fob Not Working?Some car owners are mechanically inclined — they don’t mind when they have to perform an oil or tire change. However, issues with automotive electrical parts are sure to bring about frustration.If it’s your first time owning a vehicle with a keyless remote, you may not know why it’s malfunctioning.The most likely culprit of a malfunctioning key device is a dead battery.Volkswagen keyless remotes commonly take a single CR2032. This battery will last for a year or longer, depending on how often you use your fob. However, it’ll eventually die and require replacement.Luckily, you don’t need any fancy tools to perform a dead battery replacement. In fact, you can complete the process today using only a few minutes of your time.
How to Replace the BatteryLook at these simple steps to put a different battery into your 2021 Passat car’s (or any other Volkswagen models) keyless remote:
- Enter the blade of a small flathead screwdriver into the key fob shell’s groove. Please be careful not to cut yourself.
- Switch out the old CR2032 with the replacement one. Make sure the new battery is in the right position (the negative side should not make contact with the case).
- Reassemble the shell.
- You’re free to use your remote as normal once you know you’ve completed the battery replacement.
- IN THE BOX: 4-pack of CR2032 3 volt lithium coin cell batteries; replacement for BR2032, DL2032, and ECR2032
- DEVICE COMPATIBLE: Ideal for watches, calculators, key fobs, Apple TV remotes, and other small electronics
- DESIGNED TO LAST: 8-year leak-free shelf life