The German car giant loves it’s key fobs to start it’s cars. It’s been doing keyless start and entry for 20+ years. BMW key fob batteries need replacement every 3-5 years depending on usage. I got 5 years from my first battery for my X3 before needing to replace it.
SUV / X-Series Models
Key Fob Remotes
BMW has made about 10 different types of key fobs over the years.
- U Shaped Key
- Diamond Shape Key – Battery: VL2020
- Rectangular Shape Key (comfort access) – Battery: CR2032
- Rectangular Shape Key (non-comfort access) – Battery: VL2020
- Trapezoid Shape Key – Battery: CR2450
- Sleek Slant Shaped Key – Battery: CR2032
- T Shape Key (comfort access) – Battery: CR2032
- T Shape Key (non-comfort access) – Battery: VL2020
- i Key
- Display Key
I created a guide to show how to change the battery in BMW comfort access key remotes vs non-comfort access fobs.
|U Shaped Key||early 90s|
|Diamond Shape Key||90-early 2000s||VL2020 Check on Amazon|
|Rectangular Shape Key (Comfort Access)||2000s||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|Rectangular Shape Key (Non-Comfort Access)||2000s||VL2020 Check on Amazon|
|Trapezoid Shape Key||2011-2017||CR2450 Check on Amazon|
|Sleek Slant Shaped Key||2017-Present||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|T Shape Key (Comfort Access)||2002-2008||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|T Shape Key (Non-Comfort Access)||2002-2008||VL2020 Check on Amazon|
Sleek Slant Shaped Key
This BMW Key Fob and Battery were popular in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 F-Series Models like the 3, 5, 7 series and the X3.