FobBattery is an independent review site that prides itself on unbiased reviews. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more key fobs for testing. - Scott
Ford is the #1 car maker in the US and the top user of key fobs. Ford has been using key fobs to unlock it’s cars and trucks since at least it’s 1993 Ford Explorer model.
Changing a key battery in a Ford is all about the key or fob type. Different fobs were used for different models. While the same fob was often used for years in a row, your best bet is to check the individual model pages below or look at the table for the image of your key to find the battery you need to replace.
Most Popular Ford Models
How to change the batteries on the most popular Ford vehicle key fob remotes.
- F-150 – The Most Popular Vehicle in the US. Find all models of key fob batteries.
- Explorer – The original SUV that basically invented the category.
- Mustang – Change every battery for your Ford Mustang key fobs.
- Escape – Ford’s compact SUV crossover.
- Five Hundred
- Transit Van
- Transit Connect
- Bronco – The infamous 90’s SUV.
- C-Max – Compact and cute.
Ford Key Fobs
Ford has made about 7 major key fobs over the years:
- Square Fob (no key)
- Rounded Key
- Slim Smart Key
- Rounded Rectangle Flip Key
- Rounded Rectangle w/Internal Valet Key
- Smart Key w/Pull Out Valet Key
|Square Fob (no key, 3-button)||1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|Square Fob (no key, 4-button)||2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|Rounded Key||2011, 2012, 2013||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|Slim Smart Key||2013, 2014, 2015||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|Rounded Rectangle Flip Key||2016, 2017||CR2032 Check on Amazon|
|Rounded Rectangle w/Internal Valet Key||2016, 2017||2x CR2025 Check on Amazon|
| ||Smart Key w/Pull Out Valet Key||2018+||CR2450 Check on Amazon|
How to change every Ford key battery
In this video, I change every single Ford key fob, so you’ll be able to see exactly how it is done:
Frequently Asked Questions
It all depends on what type of key or fob that you have. Some ford car keys have very simple batteries to change. Others require some precision tools to pry open access to the battery. Most Ford key fobs use CR or “coin” 3v batteries. Watch our video on how to change every single Ford key fob every made to see how to change yours.
- Pack of (4) CR2032 lithium coin cell replacement batteries for small devices
- 8-year leak-free shelf life, ideal for watches, calculators, key fobs, Apple TV remotes, and other small electronics
- Replacement for BR2032, DL2032, and ECR2032